Friday, February 14, 2014

Having a Ball

I have finally managed to go to a genuine, Real Madrid soccer game.  And yes, it was pretty awesome, although the weather that afternoon (mid-30s and very windy with light drizzle of rain on top) did not look promising.  However, this didn't end up making much of a difference for us because Santiago Bernabéu is heated, in spite of the fact that it's an open-air stadium.  Well, it is partially covered, but still, I was quite surprised to find that I was actually too warm under all the various layers and the thick rain coat I was wearing.  Definitely a pleasant surprise.

As for the game itself, what can I say?  There's no soccer like good soccer, and this was some good soccer.  Madrid ended up beating Español 1-0; it was a fun experience, even though I kind of wanted Español to win.  Actually, it's probably more accurate to say that I was hoping Madrid would lose (I'm a Barcelona fan).  After a while, it became clear that Madrid was definitely playing a cut above Español.  Madrid got their goal early on and then they were able to slow down the pace a little bit.  Español, on the other hand, was just unable to put together a coherent attack, and Madrid was perfectly fine with playing defense.

All in all, a rather enjoyable outing.  Unfortunately, tickets for FC Real Madrid (the soccer team) are a little more expensive than tickets for FC Real Madrid (the basketball team).  Fortunately, Vanderbilt decided that buying our class tickets to a professional soccer game counts as a valuable and enriching cultural experience.  Naturally, I'm not one to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment