Friday, February 14, 2014

...And We Are Merely Players

It's been a while, no?  A funny thing happened to me last week: my real classes started and somehow my life seems to have gotten a bit more busy (go figure).  Honestly, it feels like I'm accumulating interesting experiences faster than I can write about them.  But now I've got a bit of time to catch my breath and catch y'all up on what I've been doing lately.  So here goes...

One of said interesting experiences is something called "microtheater."  My class went as a group a couple weeks ago and a couple of us decided to go again last night.  Basically, it's a drama studio run by a group of actors who put on a handful of short sketches.  Each sketch gets it's own room and you can get a ticket to whichever sketch you want to see; the rooms are really small, making it a very up-close-and-personal affair.  Throw in a stylish waiting lobby with a bar and small restaurant and there you have it.  I don't know if they already have these in the States, but I could see it being popular in Bloomington or Nashville (especially Nashville).  If any of you decide to start one up, I'm totally calling dibs on a cut of the profits :^)

I think one of my favorite plays was one we saw with the rest of the class.  It was a dark comedy about a Spanish girl who goes to New York to study English, but ends up getting distracted and becomes a contestant in the annual hot dog eating competition; the whole thing comes off as a satire against American gluttony.  Needless to say, our Spanish teacher was a bit embarrassed that she had brought a bunch of American students to such a play.  I, however, thought it was quite good.  One of the amusing parts was the Spanish actor who played an American; I complimented him on his American accent after the sketch was over.  I must say, if he spent a little more time around our group, I'm sure his accent would be flawless.

No comments:

Post a Comment